If you'd like to cut down your own Christmas Tree this year, it's time to start making plans.
Applications for the Christmas Tree permit lottery at Golden Gate Canyon State Park are open from Nov. 1 to Nov. 12. The lottery will be held Nov. 13. Permits are $35.
The park will have one cutting day — Dec. 7.
The Forest Service offers permits for $5-$20, depending on location.
For a list of Forest Service offices, click here.
There are several rules and suggestions to follow if you are going to cut down your own Christmas tree:
- Cut trees no greater than six inches in diameter and as close to the ground as possible
- Make sure you have an appropriate vehicle. Four-wheel drive or chains may be required
- Bring a handsaw or ax. Chainsaws are prohibited
- Dress appropriately for winter weather
- Bring extra food, water, blankets and a first-aid kit
- Bring a rope and tarp to pack your tree
- Look for a tree that's close to other trees to help with forest thinning