DENVER – It’s almost summer but a lot of people still have stuff leftover after spring cleaning they need to clear from their homes.
Thanks to the internet, finding a place for a garage sale has never been easier. You can, of course, try Craigslist as a first option, but there are other sites you can check out.
Garage Sale Finder has an incredible listing of places not just in Denver, but across Colorado as well. As a bonus, they have a whole page of tips to help you during your garage sale selling or shopping experience.
Here are just a few of those tips:
1. Don’t be afraid and just do it!
If you’re undecided about selling or shopping your first garage sale – don’t be afraid and just do it. If you don’t know how to go about it, get a friend or family member to help you set up accounts either through Craigslist or Garage Sale Finder.
2. Don’t put prices on everything you’re selling, shop around for items that do not have a price tag
If you’re selling, don’t waste time pricing everything – be flexible. Flexibility allows shoppers to buy things quicker and sometimes be encouraged to buy for more items from you.
3. If you’re stuck on getting a set price for an item, don’t put it out at a garage sale
You may lose a potential buyer by not reducing the price of a certain item by just $10.
4. Don’t waste time prepping and planning
Don’t spend too much time thinking what you should sell – if you’re looking to get rid of it, sell it.
The phrase “my junk, your treasure” applies here.
5. Be clear on what you’re selling and list everything that you’re planning to sell. Always include photos
You’re more likely to attract potential buyers by letting them know beforehand what it is they’re shopping for, the condition the item is in, and whether you’re willing to negotiate for a lower price.
6. Text/call the potential buyer/seller before meeting them in person
Texting/calling who you are going to meet is essential so you get a vibe from the person. If you don’t find them trustworthy, skip them.
7. Always go to garage sales with a friend or two
Safety must be considered when shopping and selling to strangers – make sure to have a friend with you when doing or going to a garage sale.