McDonald's is in need of a turnaround.
So the fast food chain is hoping to boost sales, and make millions of customers happy, when it launches all-day breakfast on Tuesday, October 6th.
We got a sneak preview, but also found a few catches you may not know about.
--No More 10:30 a.m. Rush--
It's so frustrating. You race to McDonald's, glance at the Mickey on your wrist, and -- oh no!
It's 10:33. You're three minutes late: No breakfast for you today.
We've all been there.
But that's about to change, with the other Mickey -- Micky D's -- about to launch all day breakfast.
Bill and Jacina Eright were among the first customers to try out "breakfast at lunch" at one of a handful of test stores around the country already offering it.
"It's like a dream come true," Wright said, eating his Breakfast Burrito at 1 p.m.
"I love breakfast food, I work in home health, so to be able to get breakfast all day in between patients, and bring it my patients, is great," Jacinda Wright said.
Franchise owner Gloria Noday has seen a business boost since she got to be a test store.
"Our customers are just so happy now that they can get a hash brown or Hotcakes at lunchtime, or even at dinner, 5 or 6 o'clock at night."
--5 things you may not know--
But some people might end up a bit disappointed because while they have a lot on the menu, there are still some things you cannot get for your midday meal, and may not know.
- You can get egg sandwiches, Hotcakes, and breakfast burritos, along with some variants.
- But the downside is that stores will either have muffins or biscuits, not both (some will have Sausage Biscuits, for instance, others will have Sausage McMuffins, depending on the market).
- And they won't offer the Big Breakfast, due to the unavailability of grills for scrambling eggs in the afternoon. "We do not offer the Big Breakfast at lunchtime, basically because it's a different process we use to scramble the eggs," Noday said.
- Noday says prices will vary by restaurant and location, as always, but a McMuffin and Sausage will be a bit cheaper than a Big Mac and fries.
- The most popular item so far is Hash Browns, which many people are buying as a substitute for fries, even at dinner time.
--The Bottom Line--
The bottom line for breakfast lovers: No more racing to McD's to get there by 10:30 am.
Just realize that all your morning favorites may not be on the all-day menu, so you don't waste your money.
Don't Waste Your Money is a registered trademark of the EW Scripps Co.
"Like" John Matarese on Facebook
Follow John on Twitter (@JohnMatarese )