With the onset of social distancing regulations, many people are trying to cut down on the amount of time they’re spending in highly trafficked public areas.
For many of us, this means fewer trips to the grocery store. When you do decide to venture out, it’s a good idea to purchase a few pantry staples and non-perishable food items.
A well-stocked pantry, fridge and freezer can make all the difference when planning to hunker down for a while.
We want to be clear that there is plenty of food in this country, but many food suppliers and retailers are struggling to keep their shelves stocked due to the surging demand.
We’ve compiled a list of delicious and easy pantry recipes that you can make yourself and your family for any meal.
WHAT ARE PANTRY STAPLES?
Pantry staples are basic, fairly inexpensive, versatile ingredients that are used frequently and have a long shelf-life. These items don’t have to be limited to the pantry. They can also be items that last for a while in your fridge or freezer.
Things to keep in your pantry:
- Baking ingredients – Flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder
- Canned tuna
- Nut butters and/or tahini
- Fruit Jam
- Chicken and/or vegetable broth
- Tomato sauce
- Olive and/or coconut oil
- Soy sauce
- Non-dairy milk (unopened)
- Canned coconut milk
- Dried herbs & spices
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes
Things to keep in your fridge:
- Milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- Veggies that last longer – carrots, onions, squashes (uncut) and garlic
- Basic fruits – apples and oranges
- Extras – cheese, hummus, salsa, condiments (BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard, mayo, salad dressing)
Things to keep in your freezer:
- Frozen vegetables (spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, edamame, corn, peas, onions, ginger, garlic)
- Frozen meat
- Frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries, peaches)
- Bread, wraps, tortillas
- Pizza dough
Here are some ideas for meals that use your pantry staples:
10. PASTA PUTTANESCA
11. HOMEMADE CHILI
12. EASY POLENTA
Craving something sweet? Here are some simple pantry desserts:
1. RICE PUDDING