Warnings issued after people get sick from drinking raw milk

Posted at 12:11 PM, Sep 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-25 14:11:57-04

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- Public health agencies in southern Colorado are issuing warnings while they investigate an outbreak of infections linked to raw milk.

As many as 20 people have reported becoming sick after drinking raw milk supplied by a ranch in Pueblo County.

The infection causes fever, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea and vomiting, and it can be fatal.

The El Paso and Pueblo county health departments say the milk was supplied to members of a herd-share program, which allows people to purchase stakes in livestock and to receive a portion of each animal's milk or meat.

Selling raw milk is usually illegal in Colorado, but herd-share programs offer an exception.


Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.