DENVER – A mysterious gas smell crept across southwest Denver Tuesday morning sending 21 kids to the hospital and prompting the evacuation of several schools in the area.
Denver firefighters got the call around 11 a.m. They responded to a King Soopers near South Federal Boulevard and West Evans Avenue after reports of a natural gas odor.
Nearby schools, including Abraham Lincoln High School, Johnson Elementary School, Kunsmiller, and Strive Prep, were evacuated while crews attempted to locate the source of the smell.
Denver Public School officials said 21 students from the various schools and one adult were transported to the hospital for observation. A letter detailing the incident was sent home to parents Wednesday.
Crews were unable to locate the source of the smell and cleared the scene shortly after.