Two of Colorado's scenic train rides have been named the best in the country in the 10Best Reader's Choice Poll .
The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad was named No. 1 and the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad was named No. 2.
"Sometimes the journey is just as important as the destination," authors of the post wrote. "Such is the case for passengers who step aboard these 10 American trains – voted as the best in the U.S. by 10Best readers."
The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is a steam-operated railroad that runs 64 miles between Antonito, Colo. and Chama, New Mexico, crossing the border 11 times. It runs from May to October.
The railroad boasts that it runs through tunnels, above timberline, down gorges and over trestles.
The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad is a coal-fired, steam-powered locomotive that uses the same tracks miners, cowboys and settlers used more than 100 years ago in southwestern Colorado.
"The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad winds through spectacular & breathtaking canyons in the remote wilderness of the two-million acre San Juan National Forest for an unforgettable year-round adventure," the railroad's website says.
The full top-10 list of 10Best railroads:
- Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad - Between Chama, N.M. and Antonito, Colo.
- Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad - Between Durango and Silverton, Colo.
- Cass Scenic Railroad - Between Cass and Bald Knob, W.V.
- Napa Valley Wine Train - Between Napa and St. Helena, Calif.
- White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad - Between Skagway, Alaska and Whitehorse, Yukon
- Great Smoky Mountain Railroad - Round trips from Bryson City, N.C.
- Mount Washington Cog Railway - To the top of Mount Washington, N.H.
- Western Maryland Scenic Railroad - Between Cumberland and Frostburg, Md.
- Grand Canyon Railway - Between Williams and Grand Canyon, Ariz.
- Empire Builder - Between Chicago and Portland/Seattle
Six more scenic railroads in Colorado:
- Georgetown Loop Railroad
- Leadville Colorado and Southern Scenic Railroad
- Royal Gorge Route Railroad
- Pikes Peak Cog Railway
- Cripple Creek & Victor Narrow Gauge Railroad
- Rio Grande Scenic Railroad
Check out the rest of our Colorado Day content here .
Find more Colorado adventures in our Discover Colorado section .