DENVER -- It's going to be a beautiful weekend to see the changing color of the leaves! But, if you need more ideas, we've compiled these seven suggestions to get you out of the house. Please note: Call ahead if these events are taking place outside to get more information about social distancing and mask requirements.
1. Levitt Pavilion Denver presents Carbon Leaf this Monday, Sept. 28 from 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m. In addition to the show this Wednesday night, Levitt Pavilion Denver is currently hosting two streaming concerts a week on their website (Mondays and Wednesday at 6 p.m.) in a series called “Live from Your Living Room.” These concerts are introduced by Shannon Ogden and cross-posted on Denver7’s Facebook feed.
2. Enjoy family-friendly flicks outside on the big screen with Parks and Lights Movie Nights! Every Thursday evening from now until Nov. 5, you can reserve your space to enjoy an outdoor movie at a park in Aurora and under the stars. Food trucks are on location to make movie night even better! Gates open at 5:30 p.m. and the movie starts at 6:30 p.m. Be sure to check out the schedule and location here.
3. Visit the pumpkin patch at Cottonwood Farms for family fun activities. Borrow a red wagon, or bring your own for a trip out to the pumpkin patch, pick out some locally grown winter squash, and explore the corn and straw maze every day from Sept. 26 – Oct. 31. Admission to the pumpkin patch is $5 and prepaid admissions are recommended. They offer wagon rides on October weekends, for family groups or other cohort groups for $5 a person (children 5 and under and seniors 65 and older are always free). Tickets come available up to one week in advance.
4. Get a jump-start on your spring garden at Fall Plant and Bulb Sale! Fall Plant and Bulb Sale goes online in 2020 to offer a large selection of bulbs and plants. New this year: Premade bulb bags, custom seed mixes and a larger selection of Plant Select items. Looking to order plants? Check on their website on Friday, September 25 at 10am for a link to the online store. The store will be open for shopping until 5 p.m. on September 27 while supplies last. Orders placed online will be available for an in-person pick-up at the Gardens’ York Street location.
5. Saturday, Sept. 26 is a Free Entrance Day to national parks in celebration of National Public Lands Day! National Public Lands Day is traditionally the nation’s largest single-day volunteer effort and celebrates the connection between people and the green spaces in their community. Be sure to check the website for your national park before visiting to learn about reservations, rules and closures.
6. Join Mad Science of Colorado for a fun-filled morning of hands-on activities and exciting demonstrations at the Mad Science Lab. This Saturday, Sept. 26, Mad Science Lab is offering this FREE event for the whole family. The event is designed for kids from kindergarten to 5th grade. Registration is required.
7. Join Jared’s Nursery and Gift Center for the 15th annual Giant Pumpkin Festival and Weight-Off. This Saturday, Sept. 26 from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. you can stop in and see 1,000 lb. pumpkins, large veggies and enjoy the outdoor space. There will be bounce castles, face painters, food trucks, music and more. Masks and social distancing is required.