BRANDON, Fla. - A Florida man swallowed by a large sinkhole that opened up beneath his bedroom floor is presumed dead, police said Friday.
The victim, Jeff Bush, fell into a 30-foot-wide, 20-foot-deep sinkhole around 11:00 p.m. Thursday.
The 36-year-old man's brother told rescue crews he heard a loud crash, then heard his brother screaming for help.
Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokeswoman Jessica Damico said when the brother got there, the bedroom was gone and all he saw was part of a mattress sticking up.
The brother tried to pull the victim from the hole, but he could not get him out.
The first Hillsborough County deputy on scene, Deputy Douglas Duval, was able to safely pull the brother from the still collapsing hole. Neither the brother nor the deputy were injured.
The brother was assisted by the Red Cross and taken to a local hotel.
It is unsafe for rescue crews to conduct any type of search, as the sinkhole is continuing to expand. Authorities have designated an unsafe zone extending 100-feet wide. The open hole is taking up most of the interior of the home.
Listening devices and cameras have been placed inside the hole, but so far there has been no contact with the victim. No sounds have been heard.
Crews report they can hear sounds of continuous collapse and fear the home could completely collapse at any time.
Bracken Engineering has condemned the house, located at 240 Faithway Drive. They determined that the bedroom area is the center of the sinkhole.
Neighbors living on both sides of the house have been evacuated as a precaution.