Authorities issued an arrest warrant for Evan Ebel just hours after murder of Tom Clements

DENVER - Documents reveal authorities began looking for Evan Ebel less than a full day after the murder of Colorado's prison chief.

Records released by the Department of Corrections show an arrest warrant was issued for Ebel on March 20, the day after Tom Clements was shot to death in the entryway of his Monument home.

Shell casings found after a shootout between Ebel and Texas lawmen on March 21 matched the casings found at Clements' home, the El Paso County Sheriff's Office said.

Other evidence found in Ebel's Cadillac included Domino's Pizza clothes and an insulated Domino's pizza carrier that could link Ebel to the murder of moonlighting pizza delivery driver Nathan Leon on March 17.

The DOC document doesn’t specify why the arrest warrant was issued on the March 20, but does show Ebel was in the Intensive Supervision Parole Program. According to the Colorado Department of Corrections, that program is for high-risk or high-needs offenders who "present increased risk for the community."

The details of Ebel's specific program weren't clear, but the DOC says such paroles may include electronic monitoring, a daily call-in system and global positioning satellite tracking systems.

After serving his maximum prison term, Ebel was released from prison Jan. 28 on mandatory parole, "meaning that by law he could not be held any longer," prison officials said.

A Dec. 14, 2012 parole assessment rated Ebel as a "very high risk" for returning to prison, giving him "recidivism odds" of two out of three.

Authorities say Ebel was a member of a white supremacist prison gang, the 211 Crew. ABC News has reported that authorities are investigating whether the killing of Clements was a gang-ordered hit.

Ebel's parole conditions prohibited him having contact with gang members, his victim, from driving, using alcohol or going to  bars.

Intensive Supervised Parole is only imposed on about sixteen percent of paroled convicts.

Ebel, who was shot in the head during the gunfight in Texas and pronounced dead the next day, had spent nearly eight years in four different Colorado prisons. Records show he had 28 disciplinary violations during his incarceration.

The violations included two fights, ten attempts to incite prison disruptions and three threats. The most serious threat was in 2005, when the report says Ebel told a female guard "he would kill her if he ever saw her on the streets, and that he would make her beg for her life."

Print this article Back to Top