Wanted man, Tyler Sexton, peacefully surrenders after 7-hour standoff at Glendale hotel

Man is person of interest in Lakewood cop assault

GLENDALE, Colo. - A wanted man hiding in the crawlspace of a Glendale hotel peacefully surrendered to Denver SWAT officers Tuesday night -- more than seven hours after the standoff began.

Tyler Sexton, 31, finally gave up about 6:45 p.m. after a police dog cornered him in the cramped, 20-inch-high crawlspace above a second-floor room at the Crossland Economy Studios,  4850 Leetsdale Dr., said Glendale Assistant City Manager Chuck Line.

"We're glad it ended peacefully," Line said.

Sexton initially told police he was armed, but he did not have a weapon, Line said.

The incident began about 11:30 a.m. when Glendale officers came to Room 244 to arrest Sexton on several felony warrants from multiple Colorado law enforcement agencies, Line said.

Line said Sexton is also a person of interest in the assault of a Lakewood police officer. Line did not have details on that incident.

Instead of giving up, Sexton used an access panel to enter the crawlspace, then punched his way through a firewall to enter the space above a neighboring room.

The hotel was evacuated.

Police were hampered in the search for Sexton because he refused to communicate with officers and was hiding in the maze-like crawlspace behind trusses and other obstructions, Line said.

Officers had to demolish some hotel room walls and ceilings as they searched for Sexton, Line said. Because they didn't know if the man was armed, police had to cautiously cut small peepholes in walls to see if he was behind them before they knocked down the sheetrock.    

A woman who knows Sexton initially helped police locate him by exchanging cell phone texts with him as she stood outside the hotel, Line said. Police would not say how the woman is related to Sexton.

Sexton will be booked into jail on the warrants and charges stemming from the standoff, Line said.  

Print this article Back to Top