AURORA, Colo. - Fire investigators say grease ignited on a stove that was left unattended, triggering a two-alarm blaze that damaged four units at the Red Sky Condo Complex in Aurora.
When firefighters arrived at the complex near 2nd and Sable Monday afternoon, they found smoke and flames roiling out of the building.
"We were taking a nap," said Preslea Kintzele, an evacuee. "There was this really heavy pounding on the door and (my roommate) jumped up really quick thinking it was just one of the neighborhood kids."
But it wasn’t one of the kids. It was a police officer warning every resident of the building to evacuate because of the fire.
Two of them told 7NEWS they had to leave without retrieving family pets.
"I think they're just wet," one woman said. "They're probably hiding. The main thing is that nobody died."
"There are unconfirmed reports that one person was injured," said Diane Lord of the Aurora Fire Department.
She said she didn’t know the nature of the injury.
One evacuee told 7NEWS that a family member suffered some smoke inhalation.
The blaze apparently began in the kitchen of a second floor unit in Building H.
Several residents stood out in the mist covered with blankets, waiting to see if fire crews would allow them back inside.
Lord said at least six people have been displaced.
When asked her reaction to the "unattended" stove fire, one resident told 7NEWS, "I've lived here for 30 years. You can be as safe as you want, but when you live on the 3rd floor and there are two units below you, any activity they have can cause damage that’s out of your control."