Issued At: Thursday, 18 May 2017, 6:59 PM MDT
Expires At: Friday, 19 May 2017, 6:00 PM MDT
Northwest san juan mountains-southwest san juan mountains-
659 pm mdt thu may 18 2017
...winter weather advisory remains in effect until 6 pm mdt
* locations include...telluride, ouray, lake city, silverton,
rico, and hesperus.
* timing...periods of moderate to heavy snow will continue through
tomorrow. the greatest accumulations are expected through this
evening with intensity lessening during the day tomorrow.
* snow accumulation...an additional 3 to 5 inches with a storm
total of 6 to 12 inches. locally higher amounts are possible.
* winds...west 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
* impacts...mountain passes will be icy and snowpacked with
hazardous travel conditions likely, especially over the
highway 550 corridor through the san juans. backcountry travel
will also be difficult.
a winter weather advisory means that periods of snow and/or
blowing snow will cause travel difficulties. be prepared for
slippery roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while