Issued At: Thursday, 18 May 2017, 6:59 PM MDT
Expires At: Friday, 19 May 2017, 6:00 PM MDT
Elkhead and park mountains-grand and battlement mesas-
gore and elk mountains/central mountain valleys-
west elk and sawatch mountains-flat tops-
659 pm mdt thu may 18 2017
...winter storm warning remains in effect until 6 pm mdt friday...
* locations include...columbine, hahns peak, toponas, aspen,
vail, snowmass, crested butte, taylor park, marble, buford,
and trappers lake.
* timing...periods of moderate to heavy snow will continue through
tomorrow. expect lulls from time to time throughout friday with
intensity lessening by friday afternoon.
* snow accumulation...an additional 6 to 12 inches for a storm
total of 10 to 20 inches of snow. locally higher amounts are
* winds...west-northwest 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
* impacts...mountain passes will be icy and snowpacked with
hazardous travel conditions likely, especially over vail pass,
rabbit ears pass, highway 65 over the grand mesa, monarch and
independence pass. backcountry travel will also be difficult.
a winter storm warning means significant amounts of snow are
expected or occurring. strong winds and blowing snow are also
possible. this will make travel very hazardous or impossible.