I-70 closed in both directions from Airpark Road into Kansas
Last Updated: 88 days ago
DENVER - The Colorado Department of Transportation says both directions of Interstate 70 between Airpark Rd. and the Kansas state line remain closed.
The closure started at 4 a.m. because of adverse conditions.
In Kansas, I-70 wa closed from the Colorado border to Hays, according to the Kansas Dept. of Transportation.
Just after 5 p.m. a Denver police cruiser was involved in an accident at the on ramp from eastbound I-70 to northbound I-25. There were reports of injuries in connection with the crash.
Westbound I-70 was closed 7 miles east of Glenwood Springs just after 5 p.m. due to multiple accidents in the area
Westbound I-70 through Mount Vernon Canyon, from C-470 to Genesee reopened at 11:45 a.m. after it was closed for about an hour.
I-25 was reopened in both directions at 4:15 p.m. after a multi-vehicle pileup Saturday morning. Watch dramatic video of a tanker fire in that closure here: http://ch7ne.ws/14klV97
Conditions were starting to improve on the I-70 west corridor as well as in the Denver metro area just before 5 p.m., but there are still some snow packed and icy spots.
CDOT will remain on snow shift through the night and into Sunday with about 75 plows in the Denver metro area and 250 in the remainder of the Front Range and eastern plains. High winds and poor visibility continue on the eastern plains, with gusts between 40-50 mph.
The following closures remain in place as of 5 p.m.
- I-70 between Airpark and Kansas
- SH 71 between Limon and Ordway
- US 36 between Byers and Kansas
- SH 86 between Kiowa and Limon
- US 385 between Sheridan Lake and Wray
- SH 61 between Otis and Sterling
- SH 63 between Anton and I-76
- US 24 between Calhan and Limon
- US 287/US 40 between Eads and Limon
- SH 94 between Colorado Springs and US 40
- SH 10 between I-25 (Walsenburg) and La Junta
- US 50 between Pueblo and Rocky Ford
- SH 96 between Sugar City and Kansas
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.