West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith still hasn't thrown an interception this season, but he isn't perfect -- not in the eyes of the Scripps Heisman Poll voters, anyway.
Nine of the 10 voters picked Smith this week, but one opted for Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller. Miller threw for 127 yards and one touchdown, and ran for 186 yards and one touchdown in the Buckeyes' 63-38 blowout win over Nebraska last Saturday.
Smith threw for his fewest yards of the season (268) last Saturday, but had four touchdown passes in the Mountaineers' 48-45 victory over Texas. For the year, Smith has 24 touchdown passes and no interceptions for No. 5-ranked West Virginia.
Smith, the only player to appear on all 10 ballots this week, leads the poll with 49 points. Next is Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein who tallied 26 points while appearing on nine ballots. Klein threw for two touchdowns and ran for two more in the Wildcats' 56-16 rout of Kansas last Saturday.
Miller is third with 23 points (eight ballots). Oregon running back/wide receiver/kick returner De'Anthony Thomas is fourth (21 points, nine ballots), with Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o a distant fifth (10 points, four ballots). Seven other players received votes.
The Scripps poll is the longest running Heisman poll in the nation. Since its inception in 1987, it has correctly picked the Heisman winner in its final weekly poll 21 of 25 years, including Robert Griffin III last year. Ten Heisman voters each selected five players this week, and points are awarded on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis, with five points for a first-place vote, four points for second, etc.
This week's top five:
Player, School, Season Stats, Poll Points (first-place votes in parentheses).
1.QB Geno Smith, West Virginia, 1,996 passing yards, 81.4 completion pct., 24 TDs, 0 interceptions, 66 rushing yards, 1 TD, 49 (9)
2. QB Collin Klein, Kansas State, 887 passing yards, 67.0 completion pct., 7 TDs, 2 ints., 405 rushing yards, 7 TDs, 26
3. QB Braxton Miller, Ohio State, 1,060 passing yards, 61.5 completion pct., 9 TDs, 3 ints., 763 rushing yards, 8 TDs, 23 (1)
4. RB/WR/KR De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon, 377 rushing yards, 9.2 yards per carry, 6 TDs, 205 receiving yards, 3 TDs, 150 punt return yards, 88 kick return yards, 21
5. LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame, 48 tackles, 3 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered, 10
Others receiving votes: South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney 7, USC WR/KR Marqise Lee 4, West Virginia WR Tavon Austin 3, USC QB Matt Barkley 2, Clemson QB Tajh Boyd 2, South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore 1, Alabama QB AJ McCarron 1
Last week's top five:
1. QB Geno Smith, West Virginia, 50 (10).
2. QB Collin Klein, Kansas State, 22
3. (tie) RB/WR/KR De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon, 16
3. (tie) QB E.J. Manuel, Florida State, 16
3. (tie) QB Aaron Murray, Georgia, 16
Voters: Kirk Bohls, Austin American-Statesman; Randy Beard, Evansville Courier and Press; Jimmy Burch, Fort Worth Star-Telegram; Bob Condotta, Seattle Times; Dennis Dodd, CBSSports.com; Vahe Gregorian, St. Louis Post-Dispatch; John Helsley, The Oklahoman; Mike Griffith, Knoxville News-Sentinel, Todd Jones, Columbus Dispatch, and Michael C. Lewis, Salt Lake Tribune.
(Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service, http://www.shns.com)