Orange crushed: Denver Broncos error-prone in Super Bowl XLVIII loss to Seattle Seahawks

Final score 43-8

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - We probably all should have known the Super Bowl would be error-prone for the Broncos when the coin toss was nearly fumbled by Joe Namath and the referee.

The coin toss that Seattle won on the second try was just the first mistake that went in the Seahawks' favor. Minutes later, Denver's first snap of the game was fumbled. Knowshon Moreno recovered the ball, but was tackled in the end zone to give Seattle a safety. It was the fastest score in Super Bowl history.

Later in the first quarter, Denver recovered a fumble only to have the subsequent pass attempt intercepted. That led to Seattle's first touchdown.

Another interception late in the second quarter gave the Seahawks a pick-six. Linebacker Malcom Smith returned it 69-yards for that score.


Denver, a team that liked to score first throughout the season, had a red zone efficiency of zero percent during the first half.

But the embarrassment did not end there. In the kickoff of the second half, Seattle wide receiver Percy Harvin was able to sneak through and return the ball 87 yards for a touchdown.

"When I broke through and I saw the end zone, I really couldn't believe it," Harvin said after the game.

The Broncos' third turnover came as Seattle cornerback Byron Maxwell punched the ball out of Demaryius Thomas' hands and it was recovered by Seahawks linebacker Malcom Smith. In addition, a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty was called against Denver offensive lineman Orlando Franklin on the play.

About two minutes later, Seattle wide receiver Jermaine Kearse danced through several defenders in orange to score another touchdown for this team.

"The defense was relentless," Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson said. "Offensively, we were clicking on all cylinders. That's what we wanted to be."

Finally, at the close of the third quarter, Demaryius Thomas was able to pull in a hard-thrown pass from Peyton Manning in the end zone. Wide receiver Wes Welker caught the pass on the successful two-point conversion that turned out to be the last points Denver would score.

Seattle, however, scored one other touchdown that boosted their final score to 43-8.

"It was a combination of coverage and pressure as it always is in pass defense," Broncos coach John Fox said after the game. "There is a reason they were the number one defense during the season. Give them credit. They had a lot to do with it -- with a combination of coverage and rush."

Keeping in the theme of the game, however, Denver turned the ball over one more time before time elapsed. With 3:47 remaining, the ball was knocked from Manning's hand by defensive end Chris Clemons and recovered by defensive tackle Clinton McDonald.

Denver regained the ball before the end of the game, but there was not enough time to make a difference and the Seahawks won their first world championship in franchise history.

"Everyone knows we are taking this trophy back to the 12th man," said Coach Pete Carroll during the Vince Lombardi Trophy presentation after the game.

Seattle linebacker Malcolm Smith was named MVP of the game. He had credit for his work on nine tackles, an interception and a touchdown in the game.

"I woke up jumping and bouncing and it just turned out great for us tonight," Smith said when he was awarded the MVP trophy.

Join in the online discussion about the big game. Chat in the form below. Mobile users, click here:

Print this article Back to Top