Kansas State's Collin Klein retains lead in Scripps Heisman Poll
Klein threw for 233 yards and two td's Saturday
Last Updated: 205 days ago
Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein remains the unanimous choice of the pollsters in the Scripps Heisman Poll.
Klein threw for 233 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 83 yards and two touchdowns in the Wildcats' 55-24 victory over Texas Tech last Saturday. Kansas State is 8-0 and ranked No. 2 in this week's BCS standings. Klein received first-place votes from all 10 Scripps Heisman Poll voters and leads with 50 points.
Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o is second with 31 points. He had 11 tackles, one interception and one sack in the Fighting Irish's 30-13 victory on the road against Oklahoma. Notre Dame is 8-0 and is third in the BCS rankings. Te'o and Klein are the only players that appeared on the ballots of all 10 Scripps Heisman Poll voters
Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron moved up to third with 19 points, following his 208 passing yards and two touchdowns in the No. 1-ranked Crimson Tide's 38-7 victory over previously unbeaten Mississippi State.
Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller moved up a spot to fourth. In last Saturday's 35-23 victory over Penn State, Miller threw for 143 yards and a touchdown, and ran for 134 yards and two touchdowns.
West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith slipped from third to fifth this week. The Mountaineers were idle last week.
The Scripps poll is the longest running Heisman poll in the nation. Since its inception in 1987, it has correctly picked the Heisman winner in its final weekly poll 21 of 25 years, including Robert Griffin III last year. Ten Heisman voters each selected five players this week, and points are awarded on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis, with five points for a first-place vote, four points for second, etc.
This week's top five:
Player, School, Season Stats, Poll Points (first-place votes in parentheses).
- QB Collin Klein, Kansas State, 1,630 passing yards, 70.9 completion pct., 12 TDs, 2 interceptions, 634 rushing yards, 16 TDs, 50 (10).
- LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame, 80 tackles, 5 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered, 1 sack, 31.
- QB A.J. McCarron, Alabama, 1,684 passing yards, 68.9 completion pct., 18 TDs, 0 ints., -51 rushing yards, 0 TDs, 19.
- QB Braxton Miller, Ohio State, 1,527 passing yards, 58.7 completion pct., 12 TDs, 6 ints., 1,093 rushing yards, 12 TDs, 17.
- QB Geno Smith, West Virginia, 2,414 passing yards, 74.2 completion pct., 26 TDs, 2 ints., 56 rushing yards, 1 TD, 10.
Others receiving votes: Oregon RB Kenjon Barner 8, USC WR/KR Marqise Lee 7, Oregon RB/WR/KR De'Anthony Thomas 4, Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel 2, USC QB Matt Barkley 1, Clemson QB Tajh Boyd 1.
Last week's top five:
- QB Collin Klein, Kansas State, 50 (10)
- LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame, 20
- QB Geno Smith, West Virginia, 18
- QB A.J. McCarron, Alabama, 16.
- QB Braxton Miller, Ohio State, 12.
Voters: Kirk Bohls, Austin American-Statesman; Randy Beard, Evansville Courier & Press; Jimmy Burch, Fort Worth Star-Telegram; Bob Condotta, Seattle Times; Dennis Dodd, CBSSports.com; Vahe Gregorian, St. Louis Post-Dispatch; John Helsley, The Oklahoman; Mike Griffith, Mlive.com; Todd Jones, Columbus Dispatch, and Michael C. Lewis.
(Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service, http://www.shns.com)
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.