With 27-17 victory, Denver Broncos break the Kansas City Chiefs' perfect record in Week 11

DENVER - With a 27-17 victory, the Denver Broncos ended the Kansas City Chiefs' unbeaten streak.

Denver quarterback Peyton Manning was virtually untouched by Kansas City's sack-happy defense Sunday night, throwing for 323 yards and a touchdown to lead the Denver Broncos to a 27-17 victory over the NFL's last undefeated team.

The Broncos tied Kansas City at 9-1 atop the AFC West with a rematch set in two weeks.

The Chiefs, who came into the game with a league-leading 36 sacks, barely breathed on Manning, who finished 24 for 40.

Denver fell short of its league-leading average of 41.2 points but the Chiefs, who came in allowing a NFL-low 12.8 per game, couldn't keep up.

Alex Smith threw for 230 yards and two touchdowns for Kansas City, which hadn't lost since a 38-3 setback in Denver last December to close out a 2-14 season.

--See game photos: http://ch7ne.ws/1fNb4rf


--Game Blog--

The Kansas City Chiefs got the ball first in Denver, but went three and out on their first drive. The Broncos struggled with a few missed passes in their first drive, but managed to get close enough for Matt Prater to kick a field goal.

During the ninth minute of the first quarter, the Broncos fumbled during a handoff between Peyton Manning and Montee Ball. On the next play, however, Danny Trevathan caused Anthony Sherman to fumble and Quentin Jammer recovered for the Broncos.

A few plays later, Julius Thomas caught the ball and ran it into the end zone to give the Broncos the first touchdown of the game.

The Chiefs had the ball going into the second quarter and took it 80 yards down the field in 11 plays, culminating in a touchdown by wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.

The Broncos responded in kind on their following drive. The Broncos covered 79 yards in their 10-play scoring drive. The touchdown was carried into the end zone by Montee Ball.

Kansas City made a strong push on their next possession, but the Broncos defense held firm and stopped three attempts from within the 5-yard line. Ryan Succop kicked a field goal to give his team three points in that situation.

Peyton Manning and the Broncos had the ball going into the first 2-minute warning, but were unable to capitalize. Prater attempted a 52-yard field goal but it went wide to the left.

Alex Smith got a first down with his first pass of the subsequent Chiefs drive, but was sacked on the second play. As a result, the Chiefs were forced to take their final time out and time expired during the next play.

Because of a defensive holding penalty on Wesley Woodyard, however, the Chiefs were given one final chance to make a play before going to the locker room. Smith kept the ball and ran for a first down, but was chased out of bounds without any impact on the score.

The Broncos started the second half with the ball, but were unable to get any traction with their first drive. The Chiefs were also unable to make anything of their first drive of the half. Together, the two attempts took just over two minutes off the clock.

The two teams took almost 12 more minutes off the clock with short possessions until the Broncos were able to score on an 8-yard run by Montee Ball. It capped off a 6-play, 65-yard drive.

The Chiefs had the ball into the start of the fourth quarter, but were unable to turn it into another score.

Getting the ball back, Denver was able to get the clock down to 7:10 before Prater kicked another 3 points through the uprights.

The Chiefs were able to get another touchdown on the board just over two minutes later. They traversed 80 yards in nine plays, ending with Anthony Fasano's catch of a 10-yard scoring pass.

Denver had the ball at the 2-minute warning. They ran with their first play after the time out, then allowed the play clock to tick down to 1 before taking a time out.

Prater punted the ball away, giving Kansas City the ball with 0:55 remaining.

Print this article Back to Top