Boulder nixes USA Pro Cycling Challenge next year
Committee to work on 2014 bid
Last Updated: 403 days ago
BOULDER, Colo. - The head of Boulder's local organizing committee for the USA Pro cycling Challenge has announced that Boulder won't submit a bid for 2013.
Andrew Shoemaker, the co-chairman of the committee said the group will instead focus on getting a leg of the 2014 race..
Shoemaker already had warned the Boulder City Council last week that the race was unlikely to return to Boulder in 2013.
Shoemaker noted the complexity of running a route through Boulder, telling the Daily Camera, "It requires a level of planning that exceeds most of the other types of stages."
"There's a lot of logistics involved," Shoemaker said. "Nothing in Boulder is easy."
City Councilman Ken Wilson said Friday that he agreed with the local organizing committee's decision, adding that taking a year off will give Boulder time to process the 2012 race stage.
The 2012 race brought in an estimated $1.2 million in visitor spending, according to a University of Colorado economic impact study, and $48,000 in sales tax revenue. It was much less than the $8 million that the Boulder Convention and Visitors Bureau had predicted.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.