Cigarette butt started Sailboat Fire on the east side of Horsetooth Reservoir Wednesday

FORT COLLINS, Colo. - A discarded cigarette is being blamed for starting a 1.5-acre wildfire on the east side of Horsetooth Reservoir Wednesday afternoon.

The fire, named the Sailboat Fire, began around 2 p.m. It was located along the 3300 block of South Centennial Drive in Larimer County. That road was closed along the length of the reservoir while firefighters responded.

According to the Poudre Fire Authority's report, the temperatures in the area Wednesday reached the mid-90s and humidity was very low.

"The fire traveled quickly up a slope and moved towards the Horsetooth Sail and Saddle Club," the report says. "The approaching flames also threatened several residences in the area. Units were able to extinguish the blaze with the help of a Single Engine Air Tanker (SEAT) and good work on the ground by firefighters."

Tuesday, Larimer County's Board of Commissioners passed fire restrictions that include smoking outdoors and the improper discarding of cigarettes. Violations could result in fines.

Print this article Back to Top