What To Do With Those Broken Tree Branches

October Snowstorm Damaged Trees Across Front Range

The day after the wet, heavy October snowstorm, the roads are mostly dry, but some are covered in downed tree branches.

So once you pick up the broken branches, what do you do with them?

Denver Trash says branches must be no larger than 4 inches in diameter, and they must be cut into lengths of 4 feet or less, bundled and tied, and weigh no more than 40 pounds.

Bundled branches can be set out with regular trash on your scheduled trash collection day in Denver.

Waste Management says bundled limbs can be left at the curb on the morning of your collection day.

In Fort Collins , residents have two options. One, get the downed limbs to the curb and the departments of streets and forestry will pick them up starting Monday. Or take the branches to a drop off site. Those locations are still be determined.

Windsor residents can put branches at the curb for pick up or drop off, free of charge, at the Diamond Valley Brush Site (901 Diamond Valley Drive), Chimney Park Pool parking lot (421 Chimney Park Drive) or northwest corner of 15th and Walnut streets.

Loveland is asking residents to drop off broken branches and limbs at the City’s Recycling Center at 400 N. Wilson Avenue. The center is open 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday – Sunday. There is no charge to city residents with a current, 2011 yard debris permit. Non-city residents are also welcome to dispose of branches for a fee of $2.50 per cubic yard. Small limbs and branches may be placed in yard debris carts, but lids must mostly close.

The city of Greeley has announced a drop-off site at Island Grove Regional Park. The free drop site is located at 14th Avenue and A Street on the southwest corner across the street from the entrance to Centennial Village Museum. It will open beginning Thursday at noon and will remain open through Nov. 15.

In addition to offering the free drop site, Greeley work crews will also be assisting residents until Nov. 7, picking up downed limbs at the curb in all city neighborhoods. Residents are asked to move their limbs to the curb for pick up. Elderly and disabled residents will be eligible for additional assistance clearing the tree limbs from their property. For assistance, these residents can use the Greeley Snow & Ice Hot Line: 351-SNOW (7669).

Western Disposal customers in the city of Boulder can drop off their branches at the company's yard waste drop-off center at 5880 Butte Mill Road.

The city of Thornton will hold a recycling event for broken tree branches and limbs on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Thornton's Infrastructure Maintenance Center, 12450 Washington St. Proof of residency is required and certain restrictions apply.

The town of Erie is also accepting fallen trees and branches. Residents can drop off trees and branches up to 12 inches in diameter at Coal Creek Park, located at the intersection of Cheesman and Kattell in Historic Downtown Erie. The designated drop off area is located in the north parking lot and will be clearly marked. Trees and branches will be accepted for recycling through Sunday, only. No yard waste or other materials will be accepted at this location.

The bottom line? Call your local trash collector to find out its policy. If they won't pick up your branches, check with your city or county to find out if they have a yard waste drop-off location.

Snow Covered Trees

Denver Forestry and Xcel offer the following advice when dealing with snow-laden branches on trees and fallen branches and/or power lines:

  • Check to make sure the tree is safe and clear of all utility lines prior to removing snow; do not attempt to shake snow off of a tree if a utility line is going through it.
  • If the tree is clear of utility lines, using a broom, remove as much snow as possible from branches.
  • Do not attempt to climb a tree or use a ladder to reach higher limbs.
  • If you have a downed power line, report it to Xcel Energy at 1-800-895-1999. If a power line has fallen onto a vehicle, stay away from the vehicle and call 911.

    For a list of licensed and insured tree care contractors, visit the city of Denver's website.

    Print this article Back to Top