Florida man dies after eating dozens of bugs and worms in roach eating contest
Last Updated: 227 days ago
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. - A West Palm Beach man has died after participating in a roach-eating contest, according to the Broward County Sheriff's Office.
Edward Archbold, 32, wasn't feeling well and began to regurgitate, according to the sheriff's office. Archbold was participating in a contest on Friday night at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach.
Several contestants signed up to eat a variety of insects for the chance to win an exotic reptile.
The grand prize: a Python.
Archbold had consumed dozens of roaches and worms and later collapsed in front of the store, according to BSO.
Broward Fire Rescue responded to the scene and transported Archbold to Broward Health North, where he was later pronounced dead.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.