Indian baby released from hospital after no signs of sponteneous combustion
Child under protection
Last Updated: 107 days ago
A 3-month-old baby, who has serious burns and was suspected of suffering from spontaneous human combustion, was released from an Indian hospital on Friday, according to the Indian newspaper The Hindu.
The infant, named Rahul, is expected to remain in the city of Chennai under the protection of child rights activists until the cause of his mysterious burns are uncovered, according to the Times of India.
Rahul’s parents told the authorities that the infant spontaneously caught on fire at least four different times even after they had taken him to local medical centers.
Rahul’s doctors at the Kilpauk Medical College Hospital spoke to the Indian Council for Child Welfare (ICCW) on Thursday.
“Nobody has been able to pinpoint the reason why Rahul suffered burn injuries. Our aim is to protect the child until a conclusion is reached,” ICCW general secretary Chandradevi Thanikachalam told the Times of India. “We’ll keep Rahul and his mother Rajeshwari in a place where he will also get additional protection, but only after his parents’ approval.”
Doctors treating the infant did tests to see if there was any indication that the child could spontaneously catch on fire. According to the Times of India, the tests showed no abnormalities and the doctors were also investigating child abuse or the possibility that the infant was burned accidentally.
Read more at ABCNews.com: http://ch7ne.ws/17Rg6xY
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.