Spiders found in supermarket bananas

Dozens of spiders sprouted from a banana bought from a supermarket, forcing a family to flee its home.

Consi Taylor, 29, of London, was almost finished eating her banana when she noticed that the small white patch on the piece of fruit that appeared to be mold, wasn't.

“I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders,” Taylor told The Sun newspaper . “They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet, "ABC News reported.

Taylor took a picture of the spiders and sent it to a London pest control company for guidance. It said the tiny critters could be Brazilian wandering spiders, a species that Guinness World Records designated the world’s most venomous spider in 2010.

The Taylors evacuated their London home and had it fumigated, according to The Sun.

Entomologist Steven Falk said that even if the spiders had been the venomous wandering spider, the babies didn’t pose a real threat to humans.

“The truth is often very mundane,” Falk told ABC News, adding that “a baby spider doesn’t have big enough jaws to bite you.”

The supermarket that sold the bananas, initially gave the Taylors a ($16) gift card but said this was only an “initial act of good will.” It has now given the Taylors “a substantial cash sum,” according to a statement.

“We’re very sorry and have apologized to Mr. and Mrs. Taylor,” the store wrote. “We do have rigorous controls on imported products at all stages  –  from harvesting to transportation — which is why this is so rare.”

Print this article Back to Top