Sesame Street 'Elmo' actor Kevin Clash resigns, second accuser files lawsuit
TMZ: 1st accuser claims he was pressured to recant
Last Updated: 387 days ago
NEW YORK - Sesame Workshop says Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash has resigned from "Sesame Street" in the wake of allegations that he had sex with an under-aged youth.
A lawsuit by a second accuser was filed Tuesday, according to attorney Cecil Singleton.
Last week a man accused Clash of having sex with him when he was a teenage boy, a charge Clash denied. A day later, the man recanted his charge.
But now TMZ is reporting the accuser says he was pressured to change his story, and stands by his original claim that he had sexual relationship with Clash beginning when he was 16 years old.
The accuser reportedly told TMZ he got $125,000 from Clash in a settlement.
Sesame Workshop called the controversy surrounding Clash's personal life "a distraction that none of us want" and led to his decision to leave the show.
Clash created the voice and persona for Elmo, who has become one of "Sesame Street's" most popular characters.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.