School shooting locations often renovated, demolished

Columbine went through two renovations

Like people, places are gone but not forgotten.

After most major school shooting incidents, administrators and parents move to demolish or heavily rehabilitate the classrooms, hallways, gymnasiums and other spaces where students were murdered. Just days since 20 children and six adults were fatally shot at a school in Newtown, Conn., it is too early to know exactly what administrators will do with facilities at Sandy Hook Elementary, but past tragedies are a guide.

Time and again schools have tried to erase the physical marks of shooting sites, usually with charitable help from the outside.

After the 1999 deadly shooting at Columbine High School in Jefferson County, students spent the last three weeks of the school year at a rival high school and graduation was held at Fiddler's Green amphitheater.

Through the summer, 500 to 600 workers volunteered time for the $1.2 million renovation of the school, which included tearing out bullet-strewn carpeting and ceiling tiles and replacing it with tile and glass, new paint and furniture in a cafeteria strafed with gunfire, and sealing off a library a floor above where 10 were murdered.

The library would later be demolished and replaced with a glass atrium in a multi-million dollar renovation.

Since alarms shrieked throughout the Columbine incident -- similar to what has been reported at Sandy Hook on Friday -- workers replaced them, too.

After a gunman killed Platte Canyon High School student Emily Keyes after a standoff in a classroom in 2006, the school reopened one week later. However, on the first day the school was open, there were no classes. Students and their parents were invited to come to the school to pick up their belongings, spend some time inside the school and remember their classmate. The next day, classes resumed, but room 206 was sealed for the rest of the year.

After a gunman massacred 16 children and an adult in a school gymnasium in Dunblane, Scotland, in March 1996, school officials tore down the gym a month later, a few days before children returned to school after an Easter break. A local contractor donated the cost of the work and new gym was built two years later.

"It allows the parents of Dunblane to draw a line under the events, and enables us to look to the future to build upon what's happening here today," the school board's chairman, Mike Robbins, said at the time of the demolition. "It takes away that focal point and allows the teachers in particular to think ahead and to plan for the kids coming back on Monday after the Easter holiday."

The one-room schoolhouse in Lancaster County, Penn., where a 32-year-old gunman took 10 Amish girls hostage and murdered five of them, was torn down 10 days after the shootings in October 2006. Within six months another was built nearby, with a private drive and better locks, and funded with donations made to the victims. Stricken families attended the funeral of the shooter, who was a milk truck driver, and donated money to his widow.

The deadliest school shooting in U.S. history happened less than six months later at Virginia Tech when a student gunman murdered 32, most of them on the second floor of a science building called Norris Hall. The building was closed for the rest of the spring and the second floor received a $1 million makeover, much of it with donated materials and labor, including a home for the school's Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention.

Sandy Hook is one of four elementary schools in the Newtown Public School District and was built in 1956. Connecitcut State Police said they expect the school to remain a crime scene for months.

Many public spaces that were the site of mass shootings -- from movie theaters to malls, churches and gyms -- have reopened after the passage of time.

After three women were murdered at an LA Fitness in Collier in August 2009, it reopened three weeks later.

The Aurora theater where 12 were killed in July during a showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" is set to reopen next month.