Boy swallowed by hole at Indiana Dunes doing well

Boy recovers in Chicago hospital

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. - A 6-year-old boy who spent more than three hours under 11 feet of sand after being swallowed by a massive Indiana dune is doing well as recovers in a Chicago hospital.

Michigan City Police Chief Mark Swistek told The News-Dispatch (http://bit.ly/15diUnZ ) he spoke with the boy's parents Saturday and they told him the boy's outlook is very good.

Swistek said the boy's parents are "upbeat and hopeful."

A spokeswoman for Comer Children's Hospital in Chicago said the boy remained in critical condition Sunday.

ABC57 in South Bend, citing the boy's pastor, reported that the boy's name is Nathan Woessler and that he lives in Rock Falls, Ill.

Michigan City Fire Department Public Information Officer Mark Baker told The News-Dispatch he was told the child has no life-threatening injuries and no brain injury from any lack of oxygen he might have experienced.

Woessler was with his family on top of Mt. Baldy at the Indiana Dunes National Park when he fell in Friday.

The boy was playing in an area that had been roped off, authorities said.

The boy's family did not see him sink in, but rushed to his aid when they heard screams for help.

As the boy's family tried to dig him out, he kept sinking deeper. After they called 911, crews came in with excavation equipment.

More than 50 firefighters and private contractors dug with their hands and equipment for four hours until the boy was found.

Mt. Baldy will remain closed into Monday as officials work to determine what caused the sinkhole.
 

Print this article Back to Top