Eiffel Tower all clear after bomb threat
Nearly 1,400 told to leave
Last Updated: 255 days ago
PARIS - Police say the Eiffel Tower was evacuated after an anonymous caller phoned in a bomb threat.
A Paris police official says nearly 1,400 people were evacuated following a request from tower operators after the warning Saturday. Police then searched the monument with sniffer dogs for possible explosives, and set up a broad security perimeter.
The tower was searched and no bomb was found.
French authorities have stepped up counterterrorism measures in recent weeks amid heightened concern about threats to France over its military campaign against al-Qaida-linked fighters in Mali which began more than two months ago.
The tower is occasionally evacuated because of such warnings -- at least once last year and twice in 2011. The 1,063-foot tower is one of the world's top tourist attractions, with millions of visitors a year.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.