Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro: 'I'm not a monster, I'm sick'
Last Updated: 126 days ago
CLEVELAND - Ariel Castro, the man convicted of imprisoning three women in his Cleveland home for a decade, has been sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.
During the hearing he apologized to his victims but also claimed most of the sex was consensual.
Castro says he isn't a monster. He says he's sick and addicted to pornography. He says he didn't even plan the first kidnapping.
He says he knows what he did was wrong, but that he's not a violent person and that his captives asked for sex and weren't tortured.
The women described horrific conditions in the home, which Castro turned into a jury-rigged prison.
Castro spoke during his sentencing hearing Thursday where a judge could order him to serve life in prison plus 1,000 years.
Michelle Knight was the only victim to testify. She told the judge she spent 11 years in hell and that Castro's hell is now beginning.
Her appearance is the first time she's been seen publicly since her rescue from the house where she was held captive for 10 years.
The 32-year-old Knight was the first woman abducted by Ariel Castro in 2002 after he lured her into his house with the promise of a puppy for her son.
Castro has pleaded guilty to charges that he repeatedly raped Knight and two other victims, and also forced Knight to miscarry after he impregnated her.
Relatives spoke for the other two victims, Gina DeJesus and Amanda Berry.
The 53-year-old Castro pleaded guilty last week to 937 counts.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.