NAIROBI, Kenya - The government in Kenya said Tuesday it has taken control of a mall where dozens of people were killed in a terrorist attack Saturday. However, the al-Qaida-linked group that attacked an upscale mall in Nairobi, Kenya, said it's still holding hostages, and they're alive.
Kenya's government said soldiers took over the upscale Westgate Mall on the fourth day of fighting with militants.
Three soldiers died and eight others were injured in the battle, officials said.
"We are doing clean-up of explosives that had been set up by the terrorists," officials Tweeted.
Kenya officials said they believe they have rescued all of the remaining hostages.
The al-Qaida linked group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for the attack. There are reports that 12 to 15 militants were involved in the siege.
Earlier, the Kenyan Red Cross confirmed at least 62 people have been killed, but spokesman Abbas Gullet said it was still not known how many more may be dead inside the building.
The militants reportedly targeted non-Muslims, and at least 18 foreigners were among the dead, including six Britons, as well as citizens from France, Canada, the Netherlands, Australia, Peru, India, Ghana, South Africa and China.
The mall is popular with foreigners and wealthy Kenyans, according to ABC News.