The future is looking fantastic in 2014. No flying cars or robot maids yet, but we'll have virtual reality, modular cell phones and everyday people will go to space. We're tipping our hats to the trippy tech of 2014 on The Futurist.
1) OCULUS RIFT: Giving Google Glass a run for its money, the Oculus Rift is a fully immersive virtual reality headset. This isn't just for gamers; brainiacs are also standing in line. It's a sit-down virtual reality for now but we'll all be on our feet in no time with devices like the Omni by "Virtuix"
2) MODULAR PHONES: In 2014, you may be saying “bye” to the cellphone hamster wheel. Folks like Phonebloks and Motorola's Project Aura are making devices worth keeping. It's called a modular phone because when a part breaks or needs an upgrade, you just swap it out... sparing your wallet and the landfill.
3) WEARABLES: Soon you'll be able to pick up the one ring to rule them all. It's the smarty ring, a band with a built-in LED screen. It's like a smart watch for your finger, that sends information back and forth between your smartphone. Wrap it around your digit this April for $275.
4) DRUM PANTS: If you’re not ready to put a ring on it, there are Drum Pants. This is the first percussion set you can play anywhere. You can pipe the sound directly into your headphones or annoy your family and co-workers to death. They are drumming up support on Kick starter right now but we should see them hit shelves in July.
5) SPACE TRAVEL: Virgin Galactic is blasting off in 2014. For $250,000 you get a 2-1/2 hour voyage with 6 minutes of weightlessness, but that's not it. People with reservations, who include Katy Perry, Brangelina, and Leonardo Dicaprio, get to go to training camps and lavish events hosted by sir Richard Branson.
This could be the year you're in zero gravity with Brad Pitt. Get on that modular phone and tell the world!