Officials in carbon monoxide deaths in Aspen invoke fifth amendment
Lofgren family died in 2008
Last Updated: 378 days ago
PITKIN COUNTY, Colo. - A Pitkin County building official and a former Aspen city building inspector are refusing to talk about the carbon monoxide deaths of a family of four who were killed over the Thanksgiving weekend in 2008 after a boiler leaked the deadly gas into a home they were staying in outside Aspen.
According to the Aspen Daily News, the two men invoked their right against self-incrimination in a lawsuit filed by the family's relatives.
All of the criminal charges were dismissed against county employee Brian Pawl and former Aspen building inspector Erik Peltonen because the statute of limitations had expired.
The men faced felony and misdemeanor charges in the deaths of Caroline Lofgren, 42; her husband, Parker, 39; and their two children, Owen, 10, and Sophie, 8.
The Lofgren's won a church auction for a getaway in the $9 million Aspen-area home over the Thanksgiving weekend in 2008.
A second family found the bodies in their beds in the home when they arrived.
Investigators determined a combination of mechanical, electrical and plumbing problems caused the carbon monoxide leak.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.