4 Colorado residents, gun violence victims invited to attend State of the Union
Gun violence victims from across the U.S. invited
Last Updated: 95 days ago
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Four Colorado residents were invited to attend President Obama's State of the Union address Tuesday.
Attendees include two family members of an Aurora movie theater shooting victim, a Colorado Springs fire chief and an Evergreen doctor who created a healthcare-based mobile app.
Aurora resident Teresa Hoover, mother of 18-year-old AJ Boik, who was killed in the Aurora movie theater shooting, will attend the address as a guest of Sen. Ed Perlmutter and Congresswoman Diana DeGette. She will be accompanied by her brother--and AJ’s uncle--David Hoover, a Lakewood police officer.
Many of the other guests of lawmakers are also victims of gun violence who were invited as part of an initiative to invite victims to the speech started by Rep. Jim Langevin, a Democrat from Rhode Island.
As a 16-year-old, Langevin was critically injured in a gun accident. A bullet severed his spinal cord when a veteran officer, who didn't realize a round was in the chamber of the .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol he was handling, pulled the trigger and the bullet bounced off a metal locker. Langevin is the first quadriplegic to serve in the House of Representatives.
Colorado Springs Fire Chief Rich Brown and his wife Lori will attend the State of the Union address as guests of Sen. Michael Bennet. Brown led firefighters in evacuating 32,000 homes and battling the blaze during the Waldo Canyon fire that ripped through Colorado Springs in June 2012.
Evergreen doctor Peter Hudson will also attend. Hudson is the co-founder and CEO of iTriage, a mobile app that uses government data to find health care providers that can treat patients based on their symptoms. The app can also be used to store healthcare records, manage appointments and look up information about medications and diseases.
The representatives of other states who took part in the initiative to invite people who've been touched by gun violence resulted in a guest list representing incidents across the U.S.
Read the full list of those invited as part of Sen. Langevin’s initiative below:
- Jim Tyrell of Warwick, RI -- Invited by: Jim Langevin (RI-2)
- Chief John Aresta of Malverne, NY -- Invited by: Carolyn McCarthy (NY-4)
- Sami Rahamim of Minneapolis, Minn. -- Invited by: Keith Ellison (MN-5)
- Cleora Francis-O’Connor of Providence, RI -- Invited by: David Cicilline (RI-1)
- Mother and daughter of Newtown, Conn. (names not released) -- Invited by: Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi
- Rev. E. Winford Bell of Los Angeles, Calif. -- Invited by: Janice Hahn (CA-44)
- Mayor Gloria Chavez of Tijeras, N.M. -- Invited by: Michelle Lujan Grisham (NM-1)
- Anne Marie Crowell of Saugus, Mass. -- Invited by: Rep. Ed Markey (07)
- Elvin Daniel of McHenry, Ill. -- Invited by: Mike Thompson (CA-05)
- Lori Haas of Richmond, Vir. -- Invited by: Bobby Scott (VA-3)
- Natalie Hammond of Newtown, Conn. -- Invited by: Elizabeth Esty (CT-05)
- Teresa Hoover of Aurora, Colo. and David Hoover of Lakewood, Colo. -- Invited by Ed Perlmutter (CO-07) and Diana DeGette (CO-1)
- Peggy McCrum of Long Beach, Calif. -- Invited by: Alan Lowenthal (CA-47)
- Lynn and Christopher McDonnell of Newtown, Conn. -- Invited by: Lois Frankel (FL-22) and Gloria Negrete-McLeod (CA-35)
- Curtrina Murphy of Bridgeport, Conn. -- Invited by: Jim Himes (CT-4)
- Carolyn Murray of Evanston, Ill. - Invited by: Jan Shakowsky (IL-9)
- Emily Nottingham of Tucson, Ariz. -- Invited by: Kyrsten Sinema (AZ-09)
- Cleopatra Pendleton of Chicago, Ill. -- Invited by: Brad Schneider (IL-10) and Michelle Obama
- Carole Price of Carroll County, Md. -- Invited by: Chris Van Hollen (MD-8)
- Carlos Soto, Jr. of Stratford, Conn. -- Invited by: Rosa DeLauro (CT-3)
- Starkesia Reed of Chicago, Ill. -- Invited by:Congresswoman Tammy Duckworth (IL-8)
- Sarah Cadogan of Plainfield, N.J. – Invited by U.S. Rep. Rush Holt (NJ-12)
- Mark Kelly and Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona – Invited by John McCain and Ron Barber
- First Selectwoman Pat Llodra of Newtown, Conn. -- Invited by: Richard Blumenthal (D-CT)
- Det. Dan McAnaspie, Newtown PD and Det. Jason Frank, Newtown PD -- Invited by: Christopher Murphy (D-CT)
- Matt Gross of New Jersey -- Invited by Frank R. Lautenberg (D-NJ):
- 6-year-old Josh Stepakoff of Granada Hills, Calif. -- Invited by Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
- Police Lt. Brian Murphy of Oak Creek, Wisc. -- Invited by: Michelle Obama
The State of the Union will begin at 7 p.m. Mountain Time.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.