Norovirus Sickens Dozens At Aurora Nursing Home

Two Hospitalized After Virus Strikes Nursing Home

The Tri-County Health Department said 28 people have been reported sickened by norovirus at a nursing home.

Dr. Tista Ghosh of Tri-County Health said 21 residents and seven staff members at Lifecare Center of Aurora have suffered from vomiting and diarrhea as a result of norovirus.

Two patients at the nursing home were hospitalized, but Ghosh said it is not clear if those hospitalizations were caused by the virus.

Ghosh said the outbreak was reported to her department on Monday, but that it is believed the outbreak began two weeks ago.

Norovirus is a virus that causes inflammation of the stomach and intestines. While painful, it is usually not believed to be dangerous to people, though Ghosh said it is possible to cause dehydration in the elderly, sometimes leading to hospitalization.

Lifecare Center of Aurora is not shutting down because of the virus, Ghosh said. She said the nursing home is cleaning its facility and following guidelines put forth by the Tri-County Health Department.

Print this article Back to Top