NIWOT, Colo. - Officials at Niwot High School found a "hit list' with 30 names on it and is closing the school for the rest of the weekend, 7NEWS confirmed Thursday.
In a letter sent to parents Thursday night, school officials said that the recommendation to close the school was made, in part, due to a second written threat discovered by students earlier on Thursday.
"This buys us some time to investigate the threats and determine who is behind them and whether they are credible," said Cmdr. Rick Brough, spokesman for the Boulder County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies met with the parents of the students named on the list Thursday evening.
It was the second threat this week. Parents said the first was a threat to blow up the school scrawled on a bathroom wall on Monday.
"Ten years ago this wouldn’t have been a problem, and now it’s a real problem," said Ellen Ross. "And my child’s name is on the list, and it’s very concerning."
Ross said there was no obvious connection between the students on the list.
"I just really hope that the parents talk to their kids and try to find out what is going on because some child knows," said Ross. "No child does this and doesn’t tell anybody. I really want the parents to talk to their kids and find out who’s doing this."
Principal Dennis Daly sent a memo to parents on Tuesday that said the sheriff's office and school were "taking all necessary precautions to ensure the safety of our students and staff."
St. Vrain Valley School District spokesman John Poynton said there is a $1,000 reward for information leading to the person responsible. through the Safe-2-Tell system at 877-542-7233 (SAFE) or online at safe2tell.org.
A Thursday night girls basketball game between Niwot and Longmont High, scheduled to take place at the school, has been canceled. And Saturday's wrestling tournament has been moved to Frederick High School, according to people interviewed at the school.