Natural gas ignited a house explosion in Castle Rock this morning, injuring a woman and four children and leveling their house and damaging two others.
The explosion occurred about 7:15 a.m. at 6942 Sulfur Lane.
The fire chief said the source of the explosion was natural gas.
A mother and her four children were inside the home.
A neighbor called 911 early in the morning to report the smell of gas and an explosion.
Neighbor Mike Cox said the explosion was so loud, it sounded like an airplane landing on his roof.
The mother and four children suffered minimal, non life-threatening injuries.
The fire chief said the kids were on the seconfd floor and "rode the collapse down" and then climbed out of their window.
Photo from Julie Cox
A neighbor said he saw the mother escape from a window in the back of the home.
About 20 residents in the area were evacuated while the scene is cleaned up. Natural gas has been cut off to the neighborhood.
The Red Cross is assisting the affected residents.
There were nails everywhere, a neighbor says.