City of Aurora plans remembrance and charity events for theater shooting anniversary
Last Updated: 148 days ago
AURORA, Colo. - The City of Aurora is organizing a day of remembrance, charity and therapeutic activities to honor and encourage the healing progress one year after the movie theater shooting.
On July 20, the city is inviting everyone to the lawn in front of the Municipal Center, located at 15151 E. Alameda Parkway, starting at 7:30 a.m.
At approximately 8:30 a.m., a ceremony will begin involving prayer, music and local speakers. 7NEWS is developing plans for live coverage of this ceremony for those who want to be part of the memorial, but are unable to attend in person.
After the ceremony concludes, at approximately 9 a.m., several charitable and therapeutic activities will begin. The city is asking people to sign up for the various projects in advance. All of the events currently show spots available.
Between now and the 20th, the City of Aurora is suggesting ten local charities that will accept donations in honor of the shooting victims. Donation bins will remain in the Aurora Municipal Center through July 20.
-- Locations for the therapeutic events (subject to change):
- Prayer and spiritual counseling - Aurora Room, 1st floor of the Aurora Municipal Center
- Art therapy and massage - City Café, 2nd floor of the Aurora Municipal Center
- Mental health counselors - Aspen Room, 2nd floor of the Aurora Municipal Center
- Yoga, decorating cards and bags for meal delivery - Central Library
- Healing Mandala - History Museum
- Remembrance trees, healing wall, Tai Chi and Bonfils Blood Mobile - On the lawn
- Gardens service project - Xeriscape Gardens
- Nature walk and poetry - Plains Conservation Center, 21901 E. Hampden Avenue
- Yoga, drumming, rock painting, paper crane making and mental health counselors - The Resilience Center, 1298 Peoria Street
-- Charitable projects planned for July 20
- 7/20 cultivation commemoration will prepare and plant a new garden
- Summer clean up
- Aurora Strong beautification
- Boys & Girls Club day of caring
- Portable labyrinth
- Xeriscape gardening
- Painting and decorating project
- Aurora Chamber and Freedom Memorial cleanup
- Food Bank of the Rockies food sorting and packing
- Sorting medical supplies for Project C.U.R.E
- Cleaning Parenting Time rooms
- Helping Hands remodel preparations
-- Charities and the donations they are accepting between now and July 20
ARAPAHOE HOUSE: Dishes, cleaning products, sheets and towels, wash cloths, maternity clothes, pants, t-shirts, knitting or crochet materials, construction paper, paint and brushes. Also, new socks, underwear, bras, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, soap, deodorant, feminine hygiene products, razors and lotions.
AURORA MENTAL HEALTH: New and unopened shampoo, soap, deodorant, sunscreen, diapers, feminine hygiene products, crayons, pencils, pens, paper and notebooks.
AURORA WARMS THE NIGHT: Hats, gloves pull-open soup cans, travel-size toiletries and plastic cups, bowls or forks.
ARC OF AURORA: Unopened deodorant, soap, shampoo, toothpaste sanitary napkins, toothbrushes, toilet paper, paper bowls, canned tuna, canned chicken, canned chili, canned stew, peanut butter, boxed meals, bags of rice, canned fruit and canned soup.
BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB: Sports and recreation equipment and school supplies
COLFAX COMMUNITY NETWORK: Paints, crayons, coloring books, popsicle sticks, paper, balls, stringing beads, board games, pipe cleaners, glue sticks, side walk chalk, hula hoops, recycled egg cartons and toilet paper rolls.
COMITIS CRISIS CENTER: New socks and new underwear for all ages and sizes.
GATEWAY BATTERED WOMEN'S SHELTER: Toilet paper, Kleenex, paper towels and canned fruit.
MCPN METRO COMMUNITY PROVIDER NETWORK: Diapers, small spiral notebooks, travel size deodorant, travel size shampoo, condoms, new children's clothing, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, baseball caps, antiseptic cleaner, bandages, pill box organizers, white socks and underwear, backpacks, bags, rolling luggage, suitcases, satchels, unscented lotion, generic reading glasses, bottled water, protein bars and health snacks.
SUNGATE KIDS: Teddy bears, crayons, coloring books and markers.
-- Additional information about the volunteer opportunities: http://www.AuroraGov.org/720Volunteer
-- Additional information about the city's planned ceremony and events: http://www.auroragov.org
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.