What happened to Donna Yaklich, woman convicted of hiring teens to kill abusive husband

DENVER - Every time a movie or a TV show airs about a Colorado woman who was convicted of hiring two teens to kill her police detective husband, many people turn to the internet to find out, "what happened to Donna Yaklich?"

While we don't know where Donna is today, the Colorado Department of Corrections said she was released from parole in 2012.

Here's a look back at the case:

Donna Yaklich was arrested after Dennis Yaklich was gunned down in the driveway of their home near Pueblo in 1985 and eventually convicted of conspiracy to commit murder in the death. She was sentenced to 40 years in prison.

Two brothers, Charles and Edward Greenwell, were also arrested and sentenced to prison terms for killing Yaklich. Charles Greenwell, who was 16 at the time of the crime, received a 20-year prison sentence; Eddie, then 25, received 30 years.

The brothers testified that Donna promised to pay them $45,000 if they would kill her husband.

Donna Yaklich maintained she was abused by her husband, who was a weightlifter and took steroids. She said she was afraid he would kill her.

Donna's accusations that her husband may have been involved in his first wife's death led to the creation of a  state task force that reopened the investigation into the 1977 death. The original investigation concluded that Barbara Yaklich died of a diet drug overdose.

The Denver Post reported that coroners reviewed the autopsy report on Barbara Yaklich determined that she had died from "a very serious blunt force injury." A task force came to the conclusion that "this is a suspicious death."

In 2005, Yaklich was released from the Colorado Women's Correctional Facility in Canon City and sent to a halfway house. At the time, 7NEWS reported that Yaklich was not at the hearing and learned of the decision by phone.

Yaklich was released from the halfway house and put on parole in September 2009.

"She [was] successfully discharged from parole and from the CDOC on 6/8/2012," prison officials told 7NEWS.

Print this article Back to Top