GUNNISON, Colo. - USA Pro Challenge riders will have another uphill finish as they race from Gunnison to Monarch Mountain.
The cyclists will head west over Monarch Mountain once on Wednesday before doing two loops through Salida and the surrounding area before heading up the mountain again from the other side. They'll finish at the Monarch Mountain Ski Area.
Stage 3 facts:
- Stage map (PDF)
- 11:25 a.m. starting time
- 3:50 p.m. estimated finish
- Festival location/time: Gunnison from 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and Monarch from 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Best places to watch: Sprint line in Salida, KOM on first passage of Monarch Pass, mountaintop finish at the Monarch Mountain Ski Area
- Where to camp: Mesa Campground, Gunnison or Heart of the Rockies Campground, Salida/Monarch
- Eastbound US 50 between Gunnison and Salida 10:55 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Eastbound Monarch Pass (US 50 between SH 114 and US 285 in Poncha Springs) 10:55 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Westbound Monarch Pass (US 50 between US 285 in Poncha Springs and SH 114) 11:25 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Northbound and southbound US 50/US 285 intersection in Poncha Springs 1:30 - 3 p.m.
- Salida localized closures 1:30 - 3 p.m.
Boulder's Alex Howes of Garmin-Sharp has the yellow jersey after finishing second in Tuesday's stage from Aspen to Mount Crested Butte. Robin Carpenter crossed the finish line six seconds ahead of him.
Race officials halted the competition for about five minutes after heavy rain created dangerous road conditions on the descent from Kebler Pass just outside Crested Butte.