US 6 to close from Sheridan to I-25 for three nights starting Feb. 7

DENVER - A major project on U.S. 6 from Sheridan Boulevard to Interstate 25 will cause a three-night closure starting on Friday, Feb. 7.

The $98 million project will replace six bridges between Knox Court and I-25 and reconstruct Sixth Avenue. It will also improve traffic movement in the I-25 and U.S. 6 interchange, the Colorado Department of Transportation said. On Wednesday, CDOT project engineers and managers held a news conference to detail the work.

"It may work somewhat now with the current traffic loading, but in 2035, when we’re starting to see the traffic increase and more and more cars are trying to get through and get access to I-25, it's going to fail miserably," said CDOT Resident Engineer Matthew Pacheco. "All the infrastructure that is being replaced is aging infrastructure."

Engineers said the bridges are still functional but three of the six scored below a 50 for bridge integrity on a scale from 1 to 100. Because of that 52 percent of this project is funded by Federal Bridge Replacement funds and the other 48 percent is funded from Colorado Bridge Enterprise Fund.

The three bridges that rank below a 50 rating are the Bryant Street bridge, the bridge over the Platte River and the bridge over the Burlington railroad tracks.

The project will be separated into two phases. To prepare for phase one, crews will close U.S. 6 from Sheridan to I-25 from 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 7, to 5 a.m. Monday, Feb. 10.

In a news release from CDOT it states:

"During that weekend closure, crews will work day and night to take down the Knox Court bridge, remove a portion of the Federal Boulevard bridge and relocate an overhead power line...Crews will also remove about 7,000 feet of center median barrier and put temporary barrier in place to shift traffic to the south side of the highway. It would take 20 nights to do this work if it weren't done during this weekend closure."

During that three-night closure, traffic can use U.S. 285, Interstate 70 and C-470 as detours. Local traffic can use Alameda or Colfax avenues.

When the highway reopens Monday, the following closures will still be in place:

--The Knox Court bridge over U.S. 6 will be closed for about three months

--The Lowell Boulevard on-ramp to eastbound U.S. 6 and the westbound U.S. 6 off-ramp to Lowell will be closed for about three months

--The Bryant Street on-and off-ramps will be closed for about one year

--The Federal Boulevard bridge over U.S. 6 will be reduced to two lanes in each direction and the eastbound U.S. 6 off-ramp to Federal Boulevard will be reduced to one lane.

For more information about the project, click here:



Print this article Back to Top