Testimony begins in trial of co-defendant in 2010 double-murder

AURORA, Colo. - Testimony is under way Wednesday in the trial of Janelle Harris, the third defendant implicated in a 2010 double homicide.

Harris is charged in connection with the deaths of Terence George, 22, and Tiffany Durst, 21.

Durst's boyfriend, Terence George, was shot dead four days before she vanished. Durst's decomposed body was found near the Cherry Creek Spillway Trail almost 6 months after she vanished.

Testimony in Harris' trial is expected to last all day. Co-defendant Tiera Homes is also expected to be called as a witness.

The third defendant was Terrance Andre McNeal.

Harris' trial is being held in Arapahoe County Court.


First Body Found

On Nov. 22, 2010, police were called to 12286 E. Kepner Place, where they found the body of George. Police said he had been shot twice.

The day before, police made a welfare check at the apartment looking for Durst, identified as George's girlfriend. She was last seen four days before the call.

Police found nothing out of the ordinary in the apartment at the time but were called back to the apartment the next day when someone found George's body.

Durst was identified as a person of interest in connection with her boyfriend's slaying, but police were unable to find her.

On Jan. 4, Durst's car was found in the 3400 block of Forest Street.


Second Body Found

Then, on April 7, the clothed remains of a woman were found near a trail along the Cherry Creek spillway. The body was in a fenced-off area by Chambers Road and Yale Avenue that is not easily accessible.

Court testimony indicated Durst was slain first. McNeal used a belt to strangle Durst, Aurora police Detective Chuck Mehl testified, telling Harris to step back because Durst might defecate when she died.

Mehl said the trio returned to the apartment Durst shared with her boyfriend and waited for George to get off work. He was shot when he walked into the apartment, according to Mehl. The gunman used an assault rifle that belonged to George, Mehl said. He was shot again after he attempted to fight for his life, Mehl testified.

Print this article Back to Top