Prosecutors charge Centaurus High School bomb suspect Andrew de Bartolome as an adult

School staff was allegedly targeted

LAFAYETTE, Colo. - Prosecutors say a teen accused of bringing a bomb to his high school in Lafayette earlier this month poses a "future threat."

"We're very concerned about the intent of this young man and his ability to cause harm," Deputy District Attorney Jenny McClintock told a judge Friday morning.

The 16-year-old, Andrew de Bartolome, was charged as an adult Friday with five felonies including attempted murder, using an incendiary explosive device, possession of an incendiary device and two counts of felony menacing.

He's accused of bringing a bomb to Centaurus High School in Lafayette on May 13. The device was found in a paper bag by a teacher. The teacher took it outside and the bomb squad later detonated it. No one was hurt.

Names of specific school staff members who were allegedly targeted in the attack were mentioned during the Friday hearing. According to the school website, those names correspond to a math teacher, assistant principal, campus monitor and a language arts teacher.

Also in court, McClintock said de Bartolome has a long-term interest in building explosives and has an interest in acquiring other weapons.

Prosecutors asked the judge to set bond at $750,000. Instead, the judge set bond at $100,000 and ordered that if de Bartolome makes bond, he will be taken from the jail to The Wilderness Camp in Utah, a camp for teenagers ages 13 to 17 with behavioral and emotional issues.

In court, prosecutors said de Bartolome had run away from home twice and had prior treatment providers, but they did not give any other details.

The camp program runs for six to ten weeks. If de Bartolome goes to the camp, his family will be required to notify the court with 48 hours of his return.

Lafayette Police Cmdr. Gene McCausey said the device at Centaurs High School could have caused damage if it had exploded near people or property.

The school was evacuated and classes were canceled that day while officers and the FBI investigated.

The teen was taken into custody at his parent's home in Boulder County hours after the bomb was found, Lafayette Police Department Chief Rick Bashor said.