Smoke alarms save grandmother's life during house fire in Elizabeth

ELIZABETH, Colo. - A smoke alarm saved the life of a grandmother in Elizabeth on Wednesday, according to the Elizabeth Fire Protection District.

"I was sound asleep when the smoke alarm went off and woke me up," the woman said. "I went in the hallway and saw smoke coming out of the [upstairs] bedroom door."

The woman said she grabbed her phone and the two family dogs and left the home. Then she called 911.

"If it was not for working smoke alarms there might have been a different outcome that morning," according to Fire Marshal Kara Gerczynski.

Gerczynski recommends checking your smoke detector each month and changing the batteries every year.

Print this article Back to Top