Settlement reached in 2008 carbon monoxide deaths near Aspen that killed family of 4

Lofgren family from Denver died

DENVER - The families of a Denver couple who were killed along with their two young children by carbon monoxide in a home near Aspen have settled a civil lawsuit.

Denver attorney William Hansen said Thursday that the last of the settlements involving the deaths of Caroline and Parker Lofgren and their children, 10-year-old Owen and 8-year-old Sophie, were reached earlier this month.

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

Relatives filed a lawsuit in Denver District Court against the owner, builder, as well as companies that worked on the house and the manufacturer of a poorly vented boiler that sent the deadly gas into the home over Thanksgiving weekend 2008.

The Lofgrens had won the holiday stay at the house in a church raffle.

Criminal charges against county and city building officials were dropped.

In Colorado, the Lofgren and Johnson Families Carbon Monoxide Safety Act was signed into law 2009. The act requires all single family and multi-family dwellings for sale or transfer with a fuel-fired appliance, fireplace or attached garage must have carbon monoxide detectors installed within 15 feet of any room used for sleeping purposes.

In addition, any single-family dwelling, multi-family dwelling, or rental property undergoing alterations, repairs, fuel-fired appliance replacement or additions where a building permit is required or where 1 or more rooms used for sleeping purposes must have a carbon monoxide detector installed within 15 feet of any room used for sleeping purposes.

Furthermore, single family dwellings and existing dwelling units in multi-family dwellings that are used for rental purposes that have a change of tenancy must install a carbon monoxide detector within 15 feet of any room used for sleeping purposes.

To read the text of this law go to: http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/sl2009a/sl_51.htm

Print this article Back to Top