Police make arrest in serial rapes in Aurora; Suspect Cameron Washington arrested in Denver

Cameron Washington has been in-and-out of prison

AURORA, Colo. - DNA evidence led police to arrest a convicted felon for a series of recent rapes in Aurora.

Cameron Washington, 30, was arrested late Monday night at his Denver home, said Aurora police spokesman Frank Fania.

Washington is accused of two sexual assaults and a third attempted sexual assault between Nov. 22 and Nov. 30. The cases occurred in the 900 block of South Ivory Circle and the 800 block of South Chambers Road.

Aurora police credit the break in the case to Colorado Bureau of Investigation lab specialists,  who worked over the weekend to find a DNA match linking Washington to one of the rape cases. Washington's DNA was already in a state criminal database because he was required to provide a sample after a 2008 felony conviction for attempted burglary.

"I think it goes without saying that if we didn't have his DNA on file, he'd still be running around the streets, probably doing the same thing again," Fania said.

Washington faces charges of first-degree sexual assault, first-degree burglary, felony menacing and theft. He is being held in the Arapahoe County Jail.

Police said the three victims were all sleeping just before they were assaulted. Their attacker entered their homes illegally and, in at least two incidents, was armed or claimed to have a weapon.

Aurora police learned of the DNA match after 5 p.m. Monday and mobilized its fugitive apprehension and gang intervention teams to track down the suspect.

Police didn't initially have an accurate address for Washington.

"Within one phone call -- and I can't say exactly how -- but within one phone call we came up with an address," Fania recalled.

Officers tracked Washington, who is on parole, to a Denver residence.

"When the first officer arrived on scene he actually saw Mr. Washington standing outside smoking a cigarette," Fania said. "Once we laid eyes on him we locked down the house and he's ours…. There was nothing to the arrest really."

"We joke around and we say, 'Things don't happen in an hour, like on TV.' This is pretty damn close," Fania said. "I can't remember a time that it happened this quickly to get a monster like this off the street."

After a lengthy interview with Washington, Aurora Sex Crimes Unit investigators are confident he's responsible for all three crimes, Fania said.

Police released Washington's arrest photo in an attempt to find any other potential victims.

7NEWS found Washington has been in and out of state prison for parole violations since his September 2008 conviction for attempted burglary.

Here's a timeline on Washington's revolving-door state prison history:

  • Sept. 19, 2008: He is sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty to attempted burglary of a dwelling in Arapahoe County.
  • March 18, 2009:  Washington is first paroled from state prison to a Denver community corrections facility.
  • Oct. 18, 2009: He violates parole and is returned to state prison.
  • March 22, 2011:  He is paroled a second time to the Denver area.
  • April 3, 2012: He violates parole again and is returned to state prison.
  • Sept. 4, 2012: He is paroled a third time to the Denver area.
  • Nov. 7, 2012: He is arrested in Denver for a third parole violation, but is released from jail two days later.
  •  Nov. 22, 2012: Thirteen days after Washington is released from jail, the first rape is committed in Aurora.
  •  Dec. 3, 2012: Aurora police arrest Washington in connection with the three sexual assault cases in Aurora.
Print this article Back to Top