Possible carbon monoxide poisoning at Noodles restaurant in Denver

DENVER - At least nine people were hospitalized after an apparent carbon monoxide leak at a Noodles & Company restaurant in Denver.

At about 7 p.m. Saturday, four people were transported to Denver Health General and another five were transported to Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center (PSL). Thirteen people were checked out in all.

PSL is the only hospital in the area with a hyperbaric chamber that can treat up to 10 people at one time.

Many reported having headaches and feeling nauseated.

The carbon monoxide levels had gotten up to 140 part per million, according to Fire Lt. Robert Hess.  According to OSHA, a person can work for 8 hours in an environment up to 35 parts per million.

“That’s not as high as we see. Sometimes we’ll see 800 or 900,” Hess said, “But they were in it for a prolonged amount of time and it took them a few hours to start feeling it."

A corporate spokesman for Noodles & Company said the problem was traced to a blown relay switch

Yesterday morning, the building experienced a power outage. When the power came back on, the power surge blew a relay switch, resulting in a loss of electricity to an exhaust fan. It has been repaired and we reopened for business this afternoon," said Erin Murphy, Senior Communications Manager.

"The fire department turned the restaurant back over to us last night but we had our third party facilities vendor in the restaurant immediately last night and again first thing this morning to perform additional inspections as a precaution. We didn't reopen until we were confident everything was working properly," Murphy told 7NEWS.

He said the restaurant has functioning carbon monoxide detectors but they didn't sound.

"We have put an additional detector in the restaurant today as a precaution," he said.

Print this article Back to Top