Poisoned meatballs: Dog owner helps raise thousands of dollars for reward

BOULDER COUNTY, Colo. - A woman whose dog ate a poison meatball in a park in Gunbarrel helped raise thousands of dollars for a reward in the case.

Sunny Monaco's says her dog Gybz is expected to make a full recovery, but said it has been "a real rollercoaster."

Monaco organized a fundraiser Saturday afternoon at the park on Buckingham Road where the meatballs laced with rat poison were found.

There were games, raffles, give-aways and a silent auction, Monaco said.

"We raised close to $4,000 yesterday!" Monaco told 7NEWS. "That is in addition to the $5000 reward."

"We have others who are sending in checks as well," Monaco said. "We are close to our $10,000 goal."
Sheriff's Cmdr. Heidi Prentup said testing confirmed the meatballs contained Brodifacoum, "an active ingredient in two of three commonly sold rodenticides."

Brodifacoum is an anticoagulant poison that kills rodents by preventing blood clotting, causing the creatures to bleed to death.

Raw meatballs were initially found on the night of April 14 in the neighborhood park located at 5150 Buckingham Rd. They contained green chunks of rat poison, according to the Sheriff's Office. A total of eight meatballs were found in the park over several days.

At least three dogs have been treated by veterinarians after consuming the toxic meatballs.

Tests on the meatballs were inconclusive for human DNA, investigators said Friday.
 

 

Print this article Back to Top