Overheating coffee pot or ski-waxing machine blamed for fire in Castle Rock
Last Updated: 161 days ago
CASTLE ROCK, Colo. - The fire at the Castle Rock Bike and Ski was an accident, according to the Castle Rock Fire and Rescue Department’s investigation.
Fire Chief Art Morales said a burglar alarm triggered a call to Castle Rock Police, who arrived on scene, saw smoke, and called Castle Rock Fire and Rescue.
Sixty firefighters from Castle Rock, South Metro, Larkspur, and Franktown fire departments fought the fire at a strip mall on North Wilcox Street last Friday night.
Investigators determined the fire started near the shop’s ski-waxing machine as a result of either the machine or the coffee pot overheating.
Officials said it is unknown if the appliances had been left on when workers left for the day.
No one was in the building when the fire started.
Damage is estimated at $150,000 to the ski and bike shop, Morales said. Adjourning businesses experienced smoke and water damage, but no fire damage.
No one was injured.
“Our hearts go out to the businesses affected,” Morales said. “Any loss in town is a loss to the entire Castle Rock community.”
Castle Rock Bike and Ski opened in Castle Rock in 2000.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.