No bond for man accused of killing wife while she was talking to 911 dispatcher

DENVER - Richard Kirk is being held without bond while police investigate the shooting death of his wife, Kristine Kirk in their Denver home.

Kirk, 47, appeared in court briefly on Wednesday, wearing a grey jumpsuit and glasses.

A public defender was appointed to represent Kirk. The attorney waived the advisement of charges. Kirk is being held on investigation of first-degree murder at the Downtown Detention Center.

Kristine Kirk called 911 at about 9:30 Monday night and told the dispatcher that her "husband was hallucinating" and "talking about the end of the world and he wanted her to shoot him," a detective who listened to the 911 call wrote in a police report.

A dispatcher radioed that the woman said her husband had been smoking marijuana, according to a recording of police radio traffic on

Kristine Kirk told the dispatcher that her husband had taken a gun from a safe and she screamed as the sound of a gunshot ended the call, according to a police report. 

Officers arrived to find Kristine Kirk lying on the floor in the family's home at 2112 S. St. Paul Street, near the University of Denver.

The medical examiner said she died from a gunshot wound to the head.

Police said that as an officer placed Richard Kirk in the back of a patrol car, Kirk volunteered "that he killed his wife," the arrest affidavit said.

Police said they are investigating whether marijuana use played a role in the killing.

The timeline of when the 911 call began, the dispatch of the officers and how long it took them to arrive at the home are also under review. 

The couple's three young sons were home at the time of the shooting.

The suspect's father, Richard Kirk, Sr., said he last saw the family in January, and there was no indication of any problems.

He told 7NEWS Reporter Tyler Lopez that the family is stunned and needs time to process what happened.
Kirk, Sr., said he didn't know anything about marijuana use or issues with the police response time, until he saw reports in the media.

Print this article Back to Top